Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Daughters Walk Jane Kirkpatrick Water Brook Press April 2011 It's 1896 when Clara Estby and her mother, Helga begin their journey on foot from Spokane,Washington to New York City. Having been promised a large sum of money from the fashion industry to complete this walk, Helga takes a chance in accepting the wager, knowing she will have to leave her family behind. But to save the family farm, this Norwegian native will do most anything. Having had no say in the matter, Clara is anything but happy as they begin the seven month sojourn. Adding to her frustration, they run into mishaps, sickness and danger. And Clara learns things about herself that change everything she ever known, and who she is to become. Following the railroad tracks, they move from town to town, staying only long enough to earn a bed and add food to their packs. But despite their determination and cunning, they begin to get behind the time line for completion. How will they ever get to New York on time? Upon returning home, they are met with tragedy and hostility. Feeling betrayed Clara decides it's time she sets out to find who she really is, and walks right into the chance of a lifetime. Will this new life and her name afford her the peace and independence she has fought so hard for? Or will she discover that one of the things she needed most, she had all along? I have always enjoyed this author's books. And so, was anxious to read this one. Out of all her books I've read so far, this one is my favorite. I always know I can expect great attention to historical detail and an intriguing story when reading her novels, but this one especially I didn't want to put down. Wonderfully interweaving raw human emotions with the ups and downs of life, this is one book I whole heartily recommend. I received this book from the publisher for review, I also post all my reviews on bookgateway.com and amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment