Friday, April 3, 2015

Ruby

When I started this book, I had no idea I was about to read a book so dark and haunting. At first I had a hard time getting into step with the authors writing style, next I had a hard time digesting the content of the book. I considered shelving the book and moving on to something else, but I found myself unable to do so. My curiosity was piqued to find out how Ruby came to be the tortured soul she grew into and if the story ended with any redeeming quality. I loved Ephraims calm, unselfish devotion in doing what his heart told him to do and what he knew to be right. I also loved seeing Ruby finally being able to see herself as something of worth. All of the rest of the book was very hard to read. Although It did make me think. this book was set in the early 1970's and some of the struggles stayed in that time...but some of the stories struggles are still very real and relevant in todays time. I commend the author for opening eyes on subjects that most would rather keep unknown and for having writing something compelling enough that it kept me reading even though it was not my favorite style or subject matter. I gave the low rating not because of the actual writing, but because, I don't know if I could actually recommend this to with its disturbing plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment