Monday, December 29, 2014

Unplanned- Abby Johnson

Follow Abby as she journeys down the path to help distressed women. Beginning in college when she is intrigued by a volunteer position with planned parenthood through her 8 years of service to them, and then her overnight conversion and cooperation with "the other side of the fence" the Coaliton for Life . Here Abby will site her experience working for a pro-choice organization, helping women exercise their right to choose the best plan for their uncertain future. And then she will swing all the way around to work with an organization staunchly believing the complete opposite. Disagreeing that any woman should have the right to choose whether to keep or kill an unborn baby. Go along on her journey as she fights for what she believes to be right and wrong. I admit, I could not put this book down. I read it in about three sittings. I was very intrigued with the inner workings of planned parenthood, as I knew very little about the organization, other than what they advertise. I liked to get the inside scoop, even though I knew the opinion would be biased. I also enjoyed seeing the Coalition for Life's conversion from extreme protesters, to the humble praying approach. I thought the book was insightful, as far as gaining insight to both sides. And I always enjoy hearing another's story and journey. But, here's the but... I didn't feel like the book was a bit redundant. And I found the relationship with her and Shawn to be tiresome. I also couldn't help but wonder why there wasn't more in the book about her family. I understand the book was about her leaving PP, but I was hoping for some glimpse of her passion for her family, and her joy at holding her own children after witnessing the ultrasound she mentions. She mentions a moment where she felt remorseful and tearful over her own abortions, but just for me personally, it seems she felt worse about the abortion she witnessed than her own. I also wish I'd seen more of a relationship to Christ evolve in the book. I do not know her personally, so I have no idea what her relationship to Him is like. But in the book when she "switched sides", it seemed more of a strong personal decision, rather than an encounter with The Lord, which is kind of what I was thinking would be her inspiration to change when I picked up this book. Overall, I'd tell people to read it. I've seen a lot of negative reviews, especially attacking her as a person. And claiming her facts are not correct. I honestly don't have the energy to play Sherlock Holmes with her story, so I'm just going to assume she is telling the truth and rate this book for the book itself and not her and her choices, because those are for her to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment